Sunday, July 18, 2010

Voice thread example

Today I tried, first, embedding the VoiceThread into my blog which Rita had us look at on Tuesday. The most confusing thing about doing this is understanding all the terms presented when requests for information pop up, like Blogger user name and Blog. The first is easy once you realize its the user name you used to originally sign up for the Blog. The second is the URL. I forgot to put the final back slash so it wouldn't work. Obviously, I figured it out. Sorry to bother you in Chicago, Rita.



Then I decided to see if I could use this for my Communication Skills I class when we work on visual communications. Teachimg them to critically evaluate visuals in a world which increasingly depends on visuals and visual cues requires me, as the instructor, to engage them in looking beyond the obvious. With the VoiceThread I can have them begin the process of evaluating visuals with a series of pictures to which they can briefly respond. They can respond to each other and, once back in class, we can really discuss the story behind the picture. This was originally set up as a Power Point picture show. ONE LIMITATION YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF: you can only use the phone option for one or two slides. Then you must pay for this feature. Sneaky!

1 comment:

  1. The vocabulary may be a little confusing in the beginning, but the terms are used in most web applications. Eventually they will seem like real English to you and not part of a foreign language (which I happen to know you have a gift for learning)!
    You are doing great, Chris. You may actually be on your way to becoming a techie! It sneaks up on you and can become an obsession, but what a magnificent obsession...did I borrow that? ;-)

    ReplyDelete