Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lost on the borders of the cyber world!

So I read all about Twitter and PLNs and I still don't get how it is done. I understand networking with others and tried for years to find people who were truly interested in educating and education but most of the people I talked to were either interested in their paycheck, their summers off, or complaining about students, other teachers, or the administration. The few I enjoyed working with focused on content learning within their fields. I, on the other hand, wanted to understand the process of learning, the engagement of the student, motivational techniques, fair and equitable grading--things textbooks expound on and never really quite get to for the "frontline" teacher. So I learned by doing, experimenting, trying new approaches, reading articles on learning styles.

Suddenly, here is a tool to connect to others (albeit late in my career) who, perhaps feel the same call to really try to connect, make education meaningful to every learner who truly is seeking something from his or her education, and I don't understand how to start. So, I sign up for twitter and then what? I don't want to be on the computer or my cell phone 12 hours a day. I don't want to tweet 250 people every week. I want to share good ideas and get good ideas and help my students achieve the success they need or want to go out in the world and feel that what they are doing is satisfying or important or financially rewarding, whatever they are striving for. I learned quite a long time ago that what I do as a teacher has nothing to do with my expectations but rather what tools I can give students that they will see as valuable in the scope of their lives. Can this be done using Twitter or whatever else is out there? How do I find others who understand that subject content is the easy part, and that finding tools that help students connect to their education and delivering that content using tools is what the real challenge of education is, paticularly today, when education is only one of the competing responsiblities our students juggle? And, yes, I think I have much to offer in the realm of experience and personal education to others if asked but, again, I truly feel lost about beginning. So--now what?

4 comments:

  1. Chris, why don't you take a look at the people who I follow and see if there are some who might interest you. Another thought, here is a list of "Twibes" that might be looking for the same thing you are. Check it out to see if you find something/someone to get you started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much too verbose for Twitter. I am very, very doubtful of my usage of it. I had such a hard time narrowing down to the 140 characters. (When I send text messages, there's usually multiple screens that go through.)

    It was really through blogging (and for me, on Livejournal, where there aren't a lot of limits on the number of characters) and through Yahoo!Groups that I've met the people who are in the little scholarly circle I wander through cyberspace with. Yahoo!Groups has various groups of various sizes on lots of different topics; Livejournal makes it easy to find people with similar interests via LJ Communities and also the interest tags.

    Both of these have allowed me anonymity, which I know is something you value (as do I).

    Twitter is just one of the many tools out there that is available. For me, I really like people that I can chat with in real time in a group chat room or one on one using an online messenger, so twitter and facebook didn't really work for me with that. Once you do find that place that works, though, and start reading the posts of other people, you'll start to find others that you can connect with who are interested in the specific things you are. The finding is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rita and Jenn, I think I have Jenn's problem (is it catching?). I got too much to say and twitter just ain't got enough space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris

    I can understand your frustration with twitter. I too feel like I do not want to spend alot of time on the computer or phone responding to tweets. I do, however, feel that it could be a great resource if you find the right "group" to follow. As Rita demonstrated with her account, alot of the information that she passed along to us was shared by someone on twitter. So the key is to find that perfect group!! Good luck in your search.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete